Enable the Windows XP build-in Wireless LAN connection service
- Open the “Command Prompt” from Start-> Programs-> Accessories-> Command Prompt, type in “sc config wzcsvc start= auto” (there have one space character between the “=” and “auto” string) and then press ENTER.
- Type in “net start wzcsvc” and then press ENTER to enable the “Wireless Zero Configuration” service.
Configuration of Wireless Network Card
- Click “START”, click “Control Panel”.
- In the “Control Panel”, please double click the “Network Connections” icon to open it.
- After opening the “Network Connections” screen, point to the “Wireless Network Connection” and right click at the icon, just as it is show at the below figure, if it was disabled, you can right click this icon and then select “Enable” to enable it. After the wireless card was enabled, please right click the icon and then select “Properties” for further configuration.
- In the “Wireless Network Connection Properties”, please select “Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)” item and then click the “Properties”.
- In the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties, configure the settings as shown on the below figure, (Obtain an IP address and DNS server address automatically) and then press “OK” to save and close this form.
- Return to the “Wireless Network Connection Properties”, select “Advanced” TAB and then click on “Settings…” and Enable the Windows build-in firewall by select “On”. Click “OK” to save setting.
Configure the Wireless Network Connection
- After returning back to the “Wireless Network Connection Properties”, click the “Wireless Networks” TAB to configure the settings as shown on the below figure, and then press “Add…” to create a new profile for UM Net-Wireless.
- System will pop up Wireless network properties as shown in the figure, in the “Association” TAB, configure it as shown in the figure, and then click “Authentication” TAB for next step.
The network name of UM is “UM_SECURED_WLAN“, and case sensitive.
- In the “Authentication” TAB, select “Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network”, and “EAP type:” select “Protected EAP (PEAP)” and then press button “Properties” to configure the EAP protocol.
- In “Protected EAP Properties”, configure this form as shown below, and then press the “Configure…” button to configure the EAP-MSCHAP v2 Properties.
Please do not enable the option “Enable Fast Reconnect“.
- In the “EAP MSCHAPv2 Properties”, uncheck the box and then click twice “OK” button to save and close “EAP properties forms”.
- Go to the “Connection” TAB, select “Connect when this network is in range”, and then press “OK” button to save and close this form.
- You can find that one new profile “UM_SECURED_WLAN” in the list box, please click “OK” to save and close it.
- Switch to the “Network Connections”, select the “Wireless Network Connection” and then right click and choose “View Available Wireless Networks”.
- After you finished the above steps, system will pop up the “Wireless Network Connection”, please choose “UM_SECURED_WLAN” and then click the “Connect” button to connect UM Wireless Network.
- Please click on the balloon for input user name and password of UM wireless account.
- Please input your UMPASS User ID and Password and then press “OK” for authentication.
The password is case sensitive and the user name is in lowercase.
If you are student, your user name contains only the first seven characters of your student ID, e.g. “ba12345”
- System will pop up the login progress form.
- The connection status of UM_SECURED_WLAN network will be changed to “Connected” after login successful.